Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Plumbing Woes


Last week we had some drain problems in our kitchen sink. We were doing the dishes one night and all of a sudden the disposal started backing up. Since I like to think I am a self-made handyman I pushed Spencer aside and started unscrewing pipes underneath. This had happened to me once before and I had managed to fix it all on my own so I guess that is were I got my ego boost to think that I could handle any plumbing problem that came my way! Ya right! Two days later, one trip to the plumbing store, two doses of a potentially fatal sulfuric acid, a house that smelled like rotten eggs, and 3 attempts at snaking the dang thing, Spencer finally told me he was calling the plumber. Can you believe that he didn't have faith in my plumbing skills?
The plumber came the next day and I gave him a play-by-play of what I had done so far. He had a super snake and gave it a go. He couldn't get any farther than me at snaking it so he had to go down stairs and open up the pipe. Thanks to me he had to wear a garbage bag to protect himself from the acid, and I had to clean it up off of my laundry room floor. It took him about 1 hour and the drains were all running great again!
The best part of the whole experience was Mia's involvement. In the beginning she had great faith in my skills as a plumber. She kept opening her door (when she was supposed to be in bed) and asking "Did you fix the pipe yet mom?" That was the first thing she said when she woke up the next day and asked me that every few hours for the next day and a half. When the plumber was here she wanted to watch him the whole time. When he was downstairs working with the acid filled pipes Mia said "Mom I think that plumber is handsome." Who is this girl? She has never said that about anyone before and here she is saying it about our plumber who is probably 35 or 40? After I told her that he had fixed our pipe she went on to say, "Mom, I think the plumber is smarter than you."
Moral of the Story:
If you want your kids to still think you are the smartest kid in the world and that you know everything--Call the plumber!!
If you can't fix it in 10 minutes--Call the plumber!!

4 comments:

The Ringleader said...

Maybe if you would expose your crack while working on the pipes you would be more successful. I admire your willpower!

Chelsea said...

I love her...she has the hots for your plumber. Could her comments get any funnier!

Bill Tanna Ava Fox said...

thats funny! hey I love the new pics of your girls on that side part! so cute :)

Unknown said...

LOVE IT! She cracks me up. Was he hot?