Saturday, May 17, 2008

Just Do It!!


I just bought my first guitar and I am pretty excited about it. I have wanted to learn how to play the guitar forever. I had mentioned to Chip that I wanted a guitar for my birthday and he totally surprised me on my birthday with a guitar and lessons. Of course we wasn't too sure of my commitment level so he just got me a rental guitar and the lessons so that I could try it and see if I really wanted to commit. It has been four months now and I am loving it. It is much harder than I thought it would be, but I like the challenge and it is really nice to do something for me every now and then. It is so nice to put the kids to bed and then pull out the guitar and do my practicing. Although I don't get to practice every day like I should--it is nice when I do. Since I earned some extra money last month I decided to spend it all in one place and buy my own guitar. I turned in my rental last week and am loving my new purchase. I am writing this to urge all of my friends and family to decide today and do something for yourself. It is really easy to get in bed at night and realize that you did not do one thing for yourself (maybe you didn't even get a shower in). I know that is life as a mother and a wife, but sometimes you need to find something that you really enjoy and just do it!

8 comments:

suzi said...

You are awesome! How fun to be taking lessons and doing something all for yourself. I could totally relate to this blog post and am glad you wrote it... I feel so inspired! ;) I'm excited to hear you play... maybe at the next family reunion in my parents' backyard? lol Seriously, that is so cool. Have fun!!

The Ringleader said...

Well said lady! You are an inspiration to not only shower before noon, but to also follow your bliss. I can't wait for you to try out for American Idol next year. If that doesn't pan out, I am excited to hear some of your tunes on our next lamb-basket production. Seriously, I am so proud of you for learning to play. I can't wait to hear you in action.

Unknown said...

Jo- I think that is so great that you are learning to play the guitar! Did you know that I actually have a guitar? I've always wanted to learn how to play, but I need to take some lessons. I'm really excited for you. I totally agree that everyone needs to do something they enjoy. Keep up the practicing.

nikki said...

Joni-

HELLO!!! It has been so long. I hope that everything is going well. I would love to catch up. Callahan said he talked with your briefly at the Gateway a couple weeks ago.

Hop on www.elizaswish.org and send me an email.

Nikki

Unknown said...

Hi Jo-

I just found your blog through a delta gamma link. Hope you are well. I don't have a blog, but we do have a web page, web.mac.com/ajw05. I have just started getting into the blog thing lately, and it's just too fun to blog stalk...

Shelley

Chelsa said...

I'm sure proud of you for sticking with it! Do you sing too? We should have a talent night (except I don't have a talent... oh well!)

Elise said...

I'm SO glad that you have found a new love. It is so invigorating to do something for your own improvement : )

Adam said...

Jo-
are you on a blog strike or what? I miss you. We're headed out in July and I want to pin down some days that we can play. Hope all is well. Smitty sends his love to his one and only:)
-whit